a2ps

a2ps under Windows Me

From: Lars Gustafsson
Subject: a2ps under Windows Me
Date: Wed, 9 Jan 2002 23:04:56 +0100

Question at end of mail

----- Original Message -----
From: "David Starks-Browning" <
address@hidden>
To: "Lars Gustafsson" <
address@hidden>
Sent: Wednesday, January 09, 2002 1:05 PM
Subject: Re: a2ps under Windows Me

http://cygwin.com/faq/> which describes this.
> (It is described for compiled programs, rather than a script, but the
> concept is the same.)
>
> The solution is easy, type "./configure" instead of just "configure".
>
> It does build, I did it last night myself, but it takes a *very* long
> time.  Also, if you have not installed all Cygwin packages, you may
> discover that stuff is missing along the way.  Just use Cygwin setup
> to add them, and start again.  You may need to start from scratch
> whenever you do this, or configure will lose track of what you have
> available on your system.
>
> I ignored the warning to install psutils, it just depends on what you
> want a2ps to do for you.
>
> If you have a DeskJet instead of PostScript printer, change the media
> to A4dj, to make the margins bigger.  You'll need something like
> GSview to actually print the PostScript files to a non-PostScript
> printer.
>
> I have these answers because I had to do it myself at home last night.
>
> Good luck.  Someday, a2ps may be available directly from Cygwin's
> setup.exe, but not yet unfortunately.
>
> Regards,
> David

> On Monday 7 Jan 02, Lars Gustafsson writes:
> > Hi ,is it possible to install a2ps under Windows Me and if it is,
> > how do you do it? I have Cygwin, Visual Studio and an X11 server
> > installed allready.
> >
> > Best Regards, Lars
>
> If you have Cygwin installed, you should just be able to "configure;
> make; make install" just like you would in UNIX.  Did you try it?!?
>
> Regards,
> David
> (Cygwin FAQ maintainer)

I installed a newer version of cygwin (20.1 I had B20) so now it finds the file but stopps after a short while whith this message:
address@hidden:/cygdrive/c/uppzippat/a2ps/a2ps-4.12>./configure
creating cache ./config.cache
checking whether make sets ${MAKE}... eval: 1: Syntax error: Unterminated quoted
 string
address@hidden:/cygdrive/c/uppzippat/a2ps/a2ps-4.12>

I can't figure out which files I need to download using the setup program from this message. First I tried to configure with the "-disable-nls" and "-with-medium=A4dj" options but got essentially the same message. I have set my PATH-variable to a bin directory in Bloodshed's Dev-C++ 4.0(, which uses gnu's g++-compiler), which has a file "make.exe".

Regards, Lars