ac-archive-maintainers

Re: Archive unification progress

From: Tom Howard
Subject: Re: Archive unification progress
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2005 10:10:09 +1100

Hi Peter,

> These changes aren't trivial to implement, storing meta-data
> in XML rather than a jury-rigged plain text format should
> have been one step in that direction. With that initiative
> having failed, all bets are off.

Fair enough.  Excuse me if the answers to the following are really
obvious and easily accessible.  Some of the info I have found, but I
don't know how up to date any of it is.  I'm hoping that your answers
will help me boot unification along.

1) Exactly what meta data was the xml supposed to provide?
2) What is the exact plain text format at this point?
3) How does this differ from the sf archive format?
4) Exactly what information do you want in the macro?

Now I assume you are using some automated tool to generate the html from
the macro (I'm guessing this is where the haskal is coming in), correct?
 I've got some experience with php, so if I know the plain text format,
I should be able to generate xhtml/css, the advantage being that php is
readily available and can be used from both a web server and from the
command line.  Do you want me to give it a shot?

Cheers,

--
Tom Howard

Public Key: http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x433B299A