ac-archive-maintainers

Re: Re-licensing your Autoconf Macro

From: Steven G. Johnson
Subject: Re: Re-licensing your Autoconf Macro
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2005 13:44:32 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 19 Jan 2005, Peter Simons wrote:
> I'm concerned that the proposed license does not disclaim
> warrantees. This is fine for a README file, but for
> executable code it seems to be asking for trouble.

It is the recommendation of the FSF:

I saw that, but what I didn't see is any justification for not disclaiming warranty.

I really don't see any danger though. We distribute those macros under GPL, so warranty _has been_ disclaimed when you get it from here. After that, it's the re-distributors problem.

No, it's my problem, because you're asking me to distribute my code without disclaiming warranty. And if someone redistributes the macro under the permissive license, I'm still the author. Why should I ask for trouble?

Why not just use something like the MIT license, which is just as permissive as the one you want but also disclaims warranty? I wouldn't have any problem with that.

Cordially,
Steven G. Johnson