access-activists

[Access-activists] Re: Somewhat Embarrassing

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: [Access-activists] Re: Somewhat Embarrassing
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2010 15:52:39 -0400

    GNU Emacs is probably the most well known program from the Free Software
    Foundation. For a blind user, it works pretty well with Speakup in a
    text console but the one that runs off of the GNOME desktop is entirely
    inaccessible... orca cannot
    see or speak data in this window.

What about Emacsspeak?  Can you make it work that way?

Emacs does not output text via GTK.  It does X calls directly,
That is probably why this does not work,
As for how to fix this, that depends on how you want to tell
Emacs which text to speak?  How is that done?

    If we handout CDs at NFB, someone might notice that our flagship program
    is only accessible in a text console and they may choose to "condemn and
    deplore" us for a silly reason. NFB sort of sucks in this way but they
    are the big membership organization and we need to kiss the proper ring
    and bow down to the vatican of blink.

    So, what do we do?

Let's see if we can make this work soon.

I have cc'd the Emacs maintainers, but since this is sensitive,
I did not send this message to the public Emacs mailing list.