accessibility

Re: [Accessibility] Thinking Further About Speech Recognition

From: Eric S. Johansson
Subject: Re: [Accessibility] Thinking Further About Speech Recognition
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2010 14:51:21 -0400

 On 7/26/2010 10:04 AM, Samuel Thibault wrote:
Christian Hofstader, le Mon 26 Jul 2010 09:44:21 -0400, a écrit :
So, I propose that we launch a speech reco user interface and
pre-processor project that is 100% libre. The different sub-projects can
talk to libre engines and be entirely endorsed by FSF/GNU.
I just wanted to remind the existence of the CMU Sphix engine under a
BSD license.

And, as you probably saw another message (and I apologize for being too tired to say this politely) but the Sphinx engine is a ()^&^%*&^ toy for grad students. We looked at it in the mid-to thousands as part of the open-source speech recognition initiative and spoke with a Sphinx numeral four developer who confirmed our assessment which was that it IVR only. Very small vocabulary to keep up recognition speed and accuracy. I refer you to the other message/rant.

Samuel (and others) please please please spend some time looking on the research for large vocabulary continuous speech recognition systems. They have a different architecture from systems like Sphinx. I can't articulate it at the level of a freshman in college which means I don't totally understand but, go read up on the systems please. Eventually I will do the same. :-)

I will try to get a request off to some friends in the speech recognition world for good textbook recommendations.