accessibility

Re: [Accessibility] Call to Arms

From: Eric S. Johansson
Subject: Re: [Accessibility] Call to Arms
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2010 13:55:40 -0400

 On 7/27/2010 12:57 PM, Richard Stallman wrote:
     Need a first step for this whole process should be collecting a corpus for
     training and experimenting with different recognition parameters.

This is something our community should be able to help with.
It needs someone to take the lead.

ISTR reading about a project of that general nature.  I hope Chris
remembers the details.  I think it needed some practical support work.
Would you or someone else like to help?
I would love to except much of the process requires computer programs that I can't use with currently available speech recognition. seriously Richard, you do have a chicken or egg problem. The free software foundation philosophy precludes enhancing nonfree software. I get that and I can make my peace with it. The cost is that you lose volunteers from the disabled community. If they can't enhance or expand on NaturallySpeaking capabilities, then they can't participate until you produce a large vocabulary continuous speech recognition system. Bit of an organizational pickle. But then again, the other solution is too.