accessibility

Re: [Accessibility] Call to Arms

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: [Accessibility] Call to Arms
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2010 14:32:03 -0400

    The two most usable OCR engines that is free of cost, open-source and

You mean cuneiform and tesseract-ocr, I think.  Are these programs
free software?  You cited the definition of free software correctly.
As a factual question, do these two programs fit it?

Whether they are open source is not quite the same question.
Most open source programs are free software, but there are exceptions
because the two criteria are not the same.

Whether they are available free of charge is simply beside the point.
Adobe Flash Player is available free of charge, but it is proprietary
and has malicious features.

    run under Linux/UNIX

When you say "Linux", I would guess you mean the GNU/Linux system.
Linux alone is not sufficient to run applications -- it is just a
kernel, and you need more than that.  Is that right?

See http://www.gnu.org/gnu/gnu-linux-faq.html for more explanation.

                     is not released under the GNU GPL license,

The GNU GPL is one among several free software licenses.  Programs
which are not released under the GNU GPL may nonetheless be free.  If
a program is released under a free software license which is not the
GNU GPL, it is still ethical, so we may as well use it when it's
useful.

See gnu.org/licenses/license-list.html for a list of many known
free software licenses.