accessibility

Re: [Accessibility] resident evil

From: Bill Cox
Subject: Re: [Accessibility] resident evil
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2010 12:37:02 -0400

I've just missed the deadline... I wont be mad if this gets censored
on gnu.org lists.

Anyway, I agree with Eric that we should find a home for
programming-by-voice development, and that it should put accessibility
first, and software freedom second, with a goal to work towards free
software versions of the entire accessibility stack.  I also think we
should have a free software version, in addition to a Naturally
Speaking interface, right from the beginning.  This will allow
developers who do put software freedom first to participate, and it
will help reach the goal of a high-performance free software stack
sooner.  However, Eric is right, Naturally Speaking is not just a
little more productive, it's way ahead of even other commercial
offerings.  Our contributors will be more efficient using it, probably
for a couple of years, maybe more.

I disagree that we should work to make a functional replacement of
Naturally Speaking.  Instead, we should work towards competitive
free-software continuous large-vocabulary speech recognition, in
parallel with developing/enhancing speech-enabled application
interfaces.  However, let's not duplicate Naturally Speaking's
limitations, and let's keep it focused on the needs of people who
can't type.

Bill