adonthell-artwork

Re: [Adonthell-artwork] Game Graphics

From: Emile Kroeger
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-artwork] Game Graphics
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2005 10:58:36 +0800

> Small note from a creative point of view though: Although you're free
> to re-use our graphics (if I find the original files) and I'm happy
> if they can help you, I would recommend to just use them for a demo
> or as a starting point for your own graphics. A lot of our stuff is
> specific to our story-line (eg: Redwyne Inn) and may look out of
> place in another game. Also you may want to find your own artistic
> style that is unique to your game to make it stand out from the rest.

Yeah, I think reusing graphics is mainly for making a demo or as a
starting point - which is important in the open source world if you
want to have something to show to get more people to help you :)

I tend to mentally divide game graphics into "generic" and "specific",
where the generic stuff is often the bulk of the graphics, and the
most boring to create (grass, buildings, inside decoration), and the
specific stuff is the rare pieces that stand out. I think there's
place for a lot of cooperation among open source games for making
generic tiles. That's probably even more true of games that rely more
on gameplay than on backstory and graphics.

Anyway, thanks for the quick answer !

Emile