Re: [Adonthell-devel] Battle System, take II

From: cirrus
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-devel] Battle System, take II
Date: Tue, 05 Feb 2002 01:44:04 +0000

About doing different fighting (or indeed magic) moves - we've talked
about learning/recording combos and using them during fights but how
exactly do we plan to do the controls for this. Personally I'd like it
if you must achieve these combos in realtime using the controls as
opposed to doing it non-realtime in some kind of menu. The controls
would be a little like a beat-'em-up game...

'attack' might be a simple stab with a sword

'forward' plus 'attack' might be a more powerful stab

'back' then 'forward' then 'attack' might be a powerful slash

run towards, jump and 'forward' plus 'attack' might be some mad super
slash

and so on....

I think you get my idea!
Different weapons might respond to different controls (althought there
should be some basic ones that are the same for all weapons) and some
moves may need to be learned by your character before you can do them.

The reason I'd prefer this over a more menu/preset based system is
because I think it takes the player closer to his or her character in
the game. You get a stronger sense of control - after all the game is
about role-playing, not remote-controlling! I think it would integrate
more seamlessly with exploring the maps too. Players will be running and
jumping around anyway - it seems natural to me that if they spot an
enemy they can just contine running that way and literally jump into a
fight.

                -James