Re: [Adonthell-devel] I'm back !!!

From: Kai Sterker
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-devel] I'm back !!!
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2002 11:42:51 +0100 (CET)

On Mon, 18 Feb 2002 10:07:52 +0000 cirrus wrote
> joel vennin wrote:
>>
>> Hello everybody, i'm ready to continue my work in
>> adonthell project, I know it's long time i've posted
>> nothing.
>>
>> About GUI and window manager, i'm ready to start Atk,
>> if you prefer adonthell tool kit. Like gtk but
>> targeted to adonthell.

I thought we had that already ;).

Anyway, I hope you rather mean Atk--, as Atk wouldn't integrate well with
C++ :)

>> How, i'll use adonthell graphics class (image,
>> drawing_area ... and other)
>> What's news:
>>        - I think(but i'm sure) an API like gtk.
>>        - True type font. (it's more usefull for
>> internationalization (unicode ...)
>
> Coooool!
> ...can it be anti-aliased too? :P

Yes true type fonts would be cool. There are a few things to keep in mind
though:

* Making our own font would become much harder, so we possibly had to use
  some freely available ones. (Not too much of a problem, I'd say)

* We need colored fonts. So we have to be able to change the color of the
  font we use. I am not sure how easy that will be with true type fonts.

* And last, we should keep Adonthell portable, so any true type library
  we'd use should be portable as well.

>>        - Full keyboard and mouse events.

Don't forget gamepads :).

Apart from that, you might want to read cirrus's suggestion about the user
interface:

http://mail.freesoftware.fsf.org/pipermail/adonthell-devel/2002-February/000438.html

I think once the window system is able to do that, it can do everything
else as well :)

Kai