Re: [Adonthell-devel] Item spec

From: Kai Sterker
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-devel] Item spec
Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2003 22:40:42 +0100

On Tue, 14 Jan 2003 22:17:00 +0100 Alexandre Courbot wrote:

> > Uh, wait! The dialogue stuff makes use of the python module too. As
> > it is very basic, we should keep it on both sides. However, if we
> > need more functionality on the server side, we could easily extend
> > it there.
>
> But does it use our python layer? If so, well that's not serious
> anyway, as I didn't think about the editors when saying that. I'm
> mainly talking about the game - moreover maybe what I said was wrong!

Not the editor but the engine. As the dialogues are python files, it
seemed only natural to handle them with py_object. And I guess dialogues
belong on client side, don't they?

> > Just one thing I wonder: should we return python attributes as
> > PyObject and leave it to the requester to check their type an
> > convert them as neccessary. Or should py_object take care of that?
>
> Good question. If py_object makes the conversion, we'll lose the
> different types. Or maybe we can write one method per data type, just
> as Python does for its conversions.

Hm ... but how would py_object know of what type an attribute is. It
would have to try all available types, I fear. Only the reciever knows
the type.

Of course, py_object could have methods like get_int, get_string, etc.
At least the most basic types could be covered that way. If somebody
wants to return something unusual he can use plain get and convert stuff
himself.

Sounds okay?

Kai