Re: [Adonthell-devel] Re: Interaction on the map

From: Rian Shelley
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-devel] Re: Interaction on the map
Date: Mon, 4 May 2009 08:28:34 -0600

> Done. Sort of. The visuals could use a little polish (to look more
> like the interface we had in v0.3), but lets not be too picky right
> now :-). That aside, it's still broken on ppc. An of course, I still
> have to finish the dialogue.

I have been trying to think this through. Ive been thinking that we
could hard-code the settings to the color scheme we want, create class
properties that can be manipulated (ie, color, style), or try to
create an inheritable set of styles kind of like css. These options
increase in complexity and flexability. Which would be best to do?

> First of, we cannot have void arguments to callbacks if we want to use
> them from Python. Without type information the object cannot be
> converted from C++ to Python. So I did remove the argument to the
> dialogue end callback. We'll lose a bit of flexibility that way, but
> nothing we couldn't work around somehow.

that is a throwback for when i was using an actual callback instead of
a functor. With functors, the argument is unnecessary, because the
functor can be generated from the appropriate class method.

> Second, I've added a window manager that takes care of decoupling
> widgets from the place where they are created and the main loop where
> they are drawn. It also takes care of input. It's fairly basic right
> now and especially lacks knowledge about a widgets position on the
> screen. I was unsure whether to add this to the widget itself, or
> whether there should be some container class to store that
> information. Since there's only one window right now, it's not a big
> issue though.

The window manager can probably just use the layout class to keep
track of its widgets. It will keep track of the widget positions just
fine. It also makes it easy to quickly hide/show the gui.

> P.S.: As far as the v0.4 alpha 3 release is concerned, I am pretty
> confident to get it out this week :-).

Awesome work all.

--
Rian