Re: [Adonthell-devel] Unit testing in Adonthell

From: Kai Sterker
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-devel] Unit testing in Adonthell
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2010 10:57:12 +0100

On Fri, Mar 26, 2010 at 9:24 AM, Josh Glover <address@hidden> wrote:

> I recommend that developers always use the --enable-dev-build flag,
> and run "make check" instead of just make.

It's failing for me, even though I have gmock and gtest installed
(version 1.4.0). However, there are no .pc files for the two that
pkg-config could pick up. Instead there are scripts gmock-config and
gtest-config that would provide the required cflags and libs.

My question now is: did older versions of gmock/gtest provide
pkg-config files and no longer do that. Or do newer versions of
pkg-config pick up those <x>-config scripts instead? (Using 0.23
here).

Can you check what versions you use? Do you have those -config scripts
in addition to the .pc files?

> I also recommend that developers write unit tests for their code. ;)

Have mercy! ;-)

I guess it might have made things for Tyler a lot easier if all that
code would have had unit tests. I'll try to better myself in that
regard.

The question is, as we write tests and accumulate more mocks and
stuff, should we keep them separate from the production code? Some of
those modules (world, especially) already contain a lot of files, so
adding even more will not help keeping things clear (if they ever have
been). Not sure how easy it would be, but replicating the modules
under test/ and keeping mocks and test cases there might be a way to
keep things at least a little bit clearer.

Kai