Re: [Adonthell-devel] Windows binary

From: Kai Sterker
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-devel] Windows binary
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2016 23:00:38 +0200

On Tue, Jun 21, 2016 at 11:12 PM, Kai Sterker <address@hidden> wrote:

For now I have just build it the Unix way, so not yet able to through together a (preliminary) package. In fact, getting all the required dependencies into a standalone distribution might be even more tricky than on OSX. I can possibly come up with a script to collect the required dlls, but also need to package Python.

I'll give this a go next, but most likely it will have to wait until after my upcoming vacation.

Most severe right now, however, are crashes when switching the display mode. These are in SDL itself, so I'll compile that with debug information next and see if it is something Adonthell does wrong, or some issue of SDL itself.

Turns out this is indeed a bug with SDL, though one with a one line fix. Mode changing is now also working with my patched version. The underlying problem is that our standard texture format isn't the one that the SDL renderers support, so there is some conversion going on behind the scenes. That leads to the observed issue with the Direct3D backend, when the window size changes and all textures need to be recreated.

Not sure why we picked SDL_PIXELFORMAT_ABGR8888 as our standard little endian texture format, when all the renderers natively support SDL_PIXELFORMAT_ARGB8888. However, that late in the game I am unwilling to change that. Funny enough, on big endian machines we do use the optimal format.

If somebody is willing to improve that during my vacation, please feel free. Should be all pretty much encapsulated in surface.cc, with perhaps image.cc also affected a little. But as I said, might not be worth the trouble.

Kai