Re: [Adonthell-general] Rules Comments

From: Nathan Barnes
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-general] Rules Comments
Date: Mon, 1 Apr 2002 08:53:43 -0600

On Saturday 30 March 2002 10:12 am, you wrote:
> One topic you completely forgot about is the 'alignment' thing. Like
> what factors will determine NPC's behaviour during conversations and all
> that. We already discussed that we don't want to have a black/white
> scheme. More something based on the individual NPC. So that'd be rather
> an attribute of NPCs, how much they like the player.

Sorry to just burst in like this, but I have a few ideas related to to
alighnment and skills.  Whether the depth they would add is worth the
difficulty of implementing them depends on the implementer.

You could tie the available trainers to the character's alignment.  For
example, Allen the Just might only train "good" characters and Wicked Ed
might shun them.  Only Allen teaches the Holy Strike and only Ed can teach
the Backstab.  That way a few special abilities would only be available to
qualified characters.

Alignment should probably be based on the player's actions in some way.  For
example, kicking from puppies and stealing from the poor are "bad guy"
traits, helping old ladies cross the street and stopping rampaging ogres are
"good guy" traits.

The only Nintendo game that I can think of that uses this sort of
behaviour-based alignment system is the Nintendo port of Ultima IV.  On the
computer, Fallout I and II have something like this and I think it adds an
interesting level to the game.

-Nathan "thou hast lost an eighth" Barnes