Re: [Adonthell-general] skill checks

From: Kai Sterker
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-general] skill checks
Date: Sat, 6 Apr 2002 15:51:16 +0200

On Sat, 6 Apr 2002 01:10:15 +0200 address@hidden wrote:

> Here is my suggestion for the implementation of skills ( with a slight
> modification it should work for most skills). There are two types of
> skill checks: fixed ones and variable ones. Sometimes it is very
> important to check how well a character does in a certain skill (
> mostly one time occasions which are important for the plot such as:
> will the character be admitted into the guild of arts?). In such cases
> I suggest the game should require a certain rank in the appropriate
> skill (maybe entertain in this case), which means a character will
> only be successful if he has the required rank. In other cases (such
> as using the entertain skill to earn a free meal in the inn, a test
> that can be repeated every evening, with different results each time),
> I think we should have a variable value, such as a random value of 1
> to 6 per rank (1d6, for all those playing pen and paper RPGs). In this
> case a character with 3 ranks in entertain would have a value of 3*(1
> to 6) and he would have to!  beat a score of say 10 to impress his
> listeners. So depending on his roll, some days he might be good enough
> to earn a free meal, while on others he would have to pay for it.

I only thought about static skill checks so far (never played any pen
and paper RPG's, see), but your suggestion makes sense to me. That'll
mean a bit of more work for the basic skill system, but it won't be
difficult. So yes, I think that's a good idea (not terribly inventive,
but there is probably no better way).

Kai