Re: [Adonthell-general] I'm back!

From: Alexandre Courbot
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-general] I'm back!
Date: 20 Apr 2002 19:20:47 +0200

> Yo Wassuuuuuup?!?!?

Wow wow wow! James' back! Damn, we (I) were wondering why it took so
long to fix your ppp daemon :)

> I'm back at uni now and I have decent internet again - I have a backlog
> of 334 emails to plough through and I have 2 exams this week but I
> should nevertheless be back up to speed very soon. I started some rock
> map-gfx for the mountains in 0.4 and I did a little work on the gfx
> documentation that Ben and I are working on.

Here's a short resumé of what happened during your absence (CC to your
private mail so you don't end here after reading all the ML threads ;)):
-The new map engine is taking form (after your exams - and NOT before :p
- try alextest on the cvs, with the right data package unpacked in src/
(http://www.gnurou.org/adonthell-stuff/alextest.tgz)). You can jump and
such stuffs, stairs are now possible (including horizontal ones!) as
well as platforms to climb on (and walk under), all in all it'll just
look and feel the way you requested during 2001 meeting! And you were
damn right, the gameplay is much more enjoying that way. Map objects
descriptions should get simplified too.

-Joel's first draft of the new window system is on the way too.

-Gettext support! Every single sentence of our games can now be
translated in any language in a very convenient way. We are planning to
re-release Waste's Edge once we have some translations.

-Windows support on the good way too! We have hanged ourselves during
one long week (and about 30 mails) to fix a stupid bug, but finally we
seem to see the light (if I may say so... :p). More users, more
developers (especially non programmers) to expect, I hope!

-Some work has been done by Nils on the basic RP elements and combat.
Looking very good so far.

-The sources are being splitted in more convenient modules (one for gfx,
one for map, one for gui, etc...) instead of one big monster to link
with.

-The basics of 0.4 plot have been discussed on the plot list. Even
though we have not decided much yet.

-We're planning to take advandage of Windows availability and
internationalisation to recruit more people. We really need a larger
team.

-Have I forgot something? So many things happened...

All in all, Adonthell is going well! :)

> Sorry again for being absent so long hope you can all forgive me!

Ah! You'll have to work like a damned for this! ;p

Glad to see you back!
Alex.
--
http://www.gnurou.org