Re: [Adonthell-general] website improvement (?)

From: Alexandre Courbot
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-general] website improvement (?)
Date: 21 Apr 2002 17:07:22 +0200

> I thought about popups myself, but I don't know whether you can create
> them from perl. The only way I know is to do something like
>
>     print "Content-type: text/html\n\n";
>     print <some html that pops up the popup>
>
> But when doing this, I can no longer redirect to the download by doing
>
>     print "Location: http://freesoftware...";;

Use the javascript, Luke. I'm not at all a js expert, but it seems to me
that you could make a js function that would
1) Open a popup and
2) Redirect you to another location (that is, not using HTTP headers,
but js directly

And for those whose browser doesn't support js, an HTML redirection (as
you suggested in your first mail) would do it, I think.

The problem is that, the ideal solution would be redirecting by the HTTP
header. But if you output some js, the headers has been sent already. So
unless you can test on server side whether the client has js
capabilities to decide whether to send a redirection or some js code, I
think we could go that way. But back on my PHP days I think it was
possible to get information about the browser. I think it's the same for
all CGI's. Maybe Google would help there :)

Alex.
--
http://www.gnurou.org