Re: [Adonthell-general] Items/Inventory

From: Alexandre Courbot
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-general] Items/Inventory
Date: 22 Apr 2002 21:13:21 +0200

> > When I started making up some items, I realized that we will have to
> > define an item format. I think an item should be defined by its
> > category (eg. small shield or fire spell),
>
> Hm. Actually I'm thinking about a list of categories. So the "Megabane"
> would be "Weapon", "Sword" and "Megabane". A candle might be
> "Lightsource" and "Candle". I think this would be very useful for our
> scripts. Some activity might work with any weapon or any lightsource,
> whereas there might be special cases where a certain weapon, lightsource
> or whatever is required.
>
> For example, a weapon-smith would buy anything labelled weapon, while
> the guy that sent you to retrieve the magic lamp won't accept a mere
> candle. (Still the magic lamp might be used for such a mundane task as
> making light.)

Uh, yeah. That'd be just fine. A heaven for game scripting, actually. We
have the possibility to either handle the categories as a list, or as a
hierarchy. But the basic idea is just fine and well adapted to our
needs.

> > Actually a lot of work
> > has to be done with the whole inventory ect. I just wanted to give
> > some ideas and start the discussion, because all this information is
> > needed if I want to start making a list of all the basic items
> > available in the game.
>
> I think we'll be very flexible as far as items are concerned. Every item
> can have any number of individual attributes (although items of the same
> kind should have the same basic attributes). As they won't be
> hard-coded, we can easily invent new ones as we go along.
>
> Each item has python scripting abilities that can give an individual
> behaviour to it. Again, similar items should be able to make use of the
> same scripts to reduce the amount of coding whenever possible.

Yep, that's what we had decided so far. I think the code you've written
concerning items actions is still in the devel branch of the CVS. Maybe
I could fire a Windows binary so Nils can perform some tests modifying
the objects definition, if he wants so.

Alex.
--
http://www.gnurou.org