advocate

Re: PlayOgg

From: Guy Johnston
Subject: Re: PlayOgg
Date: Sun, 20 May 2007 22:14:19 +0100

Dominic Lepiane wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I saw a message today about this new "Play Ogg" campaign started by the FSF.
> As per most "yay Ogg" pages on the web, the site extols the virtues of Ogg
> (Vorbis generally) over MP3.  I just wanted to point out that AAC (MP4) is a
> codec (and container, respectively) that is rapidly growing in popularity
> thanks to the great success of iTunes which currently has what, 90% of the
> Online music sales market?  I would encourage the advocates for PlayOgg to
> critique AAC in addition to MP3.
>
> Thanks for your attention

I think that would be a good addition, but I think the main criticism should
still be aimed at MP3.
MP3 is still the most popular format, and it's reasonably well known that
formats such as AAC are
proprietary, whereas MP3 is often said to "play everywhere", and promoted as if
it wasn't
proprietary. One place it doesn't play is with free (as in freedom)
applications which people want
to distribute without risking being sued for patent infringement.

--
Please avoid sending me Microsoft Office files -
http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.html.