advocate

[Advocate Play Ogg] AAC and MP3 licensing is just stupid

From: Thomas Lottermann
Subject: [Advocate Play Ogg] AAC and MP3 licensing is just stupid
Date: Mon, 21 May 2007 19:23:44 +0200

Hi!
First of all I apollogize for my bad English.
I am currently developing a iTunes like Audio-Player in Java. The only formats which are availible for Java are OGG Vorbis and MP3. That is a huge problem because I would also like to decode AAC and WMA, but there is simply no possibility at the moment to do so. This player should use OGG Vorbis as the standard format, but a support for AAC and MP3 (also encoding) is necessary, because this player should also be able to control MP3-Players like the iPod and so on. The licensing of MP3 hinders me from supporting simple MP3-Players, because MP3 encoding would be necessary. Hardware-Players supporting OGG would be the only way for me to legally support these players.

So you see OGG-Support is the only alternative for Open Source products to bring music to the players.

I'm new to mailinglists, so I hope I didn't write something wrong ;)

thanks for your attention