advocate

[Advocate Play Ogg] Re: PlayOgg

From: advocate
Subject: [Advocate Play Ogg] Re: PlayOgg
Date: Mon, 21 May 2007 23:01:46 -0500

On Sun, 20 May 2007 16:14:19 -0500, Guy Johnston <address@hidden> wrote:

Dominic Lepiane wrote:
Hi,

I saw a message today about this new "Play Ogg" campaign started by the FSF. As per most "yay Ogg" pages on the web, the site extols the virtues of Ogg (Vorbis generally) over MP3. I just wanted to point out that AAC (MP4) is a codec (and container, respectively) that is rapidly growing in popularity thanks to the great success of iTunes which currently has what, 90% of the Online music sales market? I would encourage the advocates for PlayOgg to
critique AAC in addition to MP3.

Thanks for your attention

I think that would be a good addition, but I think the main criticism should still be aimed at MP3. MP3 is still the most popular format, and it's reasonably well known that formats such as AAC are proprietary, whereas MP3 is often said to "play everywhere", and promoted as if it wasn't proprietary. One place it doesn't play is with free (as in freedom) applications which people want
to distribute without risking being sued for patent infringement.

Do we have anyone from Xinph community here?

--
Alexandro Colorado
OpenOffice.org

Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/jza