advocate

Re: [Advocate Play Ogg] Ogg Playing

From: Pandu E Poluan
Subject: Re: [Advocate Play Ogg] Ogg Playing
Date: Thu, 24 May 2007 01:23:44 +0700

Do it like this then:

Have a BIG link saying "Download in Ogg Format" followed by two small links "Why?" and "How to play?"

Have another small link saying "Download in other format" that redirects to a web page extolling the virtues of Ogg Vorbis... then have a link underneath the explanation "Download in MP3 Format (Not Recommended)"

{p}

On 5/23/07, address@hidden <address@hidden > wrote:
address@hidden wrote:
> Hello, friends... I have some questions... (I'm not sure this is the
> place to ask this, but, anyway... I'm sorry if it isn't)
>
> Can a band be sued for giving their songs for free in MP3/WMA format? Or
> only the software that plays MP3 has restrictions?

I don't think so, since you're not charging.  Thompson apparently just
wants a percentage of revenues from MP3 distribution
(http://mp3licensing.com/royalty/ )

> I was hoping to have _javascript_ to automatically play it,
> stop, go to next song, etc... maybe it's asking too much... Does anybody
> know if this is possible? Where can I learn how to do that, if so?

I don't know.  You might want to look into Cortado
(http://www.flumotion.net/cortado/) a Java-based Ogg player that someone
just mentioned.

> Do you think open-source enthusiasts should offer proprietary options
> too, after all, free software is about freedom, or only the free ones?

Tough call.  On the one hand, the proprietary codecs don't deserve any
free network effect.  But you don't want people without Ogg to be left
out in the short term.  If you think most of your listeners won't have
Ogg Vorbis, you could offer both Ogg Vorbis and MP3, but recommend Ogg
Vorbis and point to instructions for playing it.

Matt Flaschen