advocate

Re: [Advocate Play Ogg] Two thoughts: automated conversion, and radio4al

From: Matthew Flaschen
Subject: Re: [Advocate Play Ogg] Two thoughts: automated conversion, and radio4all.net.
Date: Tue, 29 May 2007 04:28:44 -0400

Karl Fogel wrote:
> Hi, I'm sending two independent ideas in one email here.  I'm not sure
> that's wise -- feel free to respond using separate mails :-).
>
>    An automated converter (for both MP3 and WAV) would make things a
>    lot easier for people.  I understand there may be some technical
>    difficulty going from MP3 to Ogg Vorbis without compromising
>    quality,

Keep in mind.  Going from MP3 to Ogg Vorbis is really MP3 -> WAV -> Ogg
Vorbis.  So if the MP3 is close enough to the original, the Vorbis will
be too.  However, this is not a good long-term solution.  People should
be converting their source media directly to a free codec like Vorbis.

>    When I mentioned this idea to a friend (Seth Schoen), he worried
>    there might be copyright concerns, similarly to how YouTube got hit
>    with infringement suits on the grounds that in order to convert
>    video data to their streaming format, they had to first make a copy
>    of the data, and making that copy was already an infringement. (!)

IANAL, but note that nobody has won such a suit.  I think the service
should be safe if it complies with the DMCA safe harbor provisions
(http://www.chillingeffects.org/dmca512/faq.cgi#QID125).  Basically that
means providing an official address that copyright owners can send
takedown requests too.  Also, it would be best to limit the hosting time
(this will probably be necessary for disk space reasons anyway).

> 2. A while ago -- before the playogg.org campaign was started, but
>    after http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/why-audio-format-matters.html
>    was posted

That's a very well-written article.

Matt Flaschen