advocate

Re: [Advocate Play Ogg] Web-based Theora video transcoding / hosting?

From: Matthew Flaschen
Subject: Re: [Advocate Play Ogg] Web-based Theora video transcoding / hosting?
Date: Tue, 29 May 2007 17:56:13 -0400

Benj. Mako Hill wrote:
> <quote who="Dave Page" date="Tue, May 29, 2007 at 04:41:11PM +0100">
>> I've been meaning for a while to work on software to run a website (or
>> part of a website) which lets users upload video, and transcodes it into
>> Ogg Theora and optionally Flash. This would let people see Theora if
>> they wanted to (and this could be the default) but would also permit a
>> (lower quality?) Flash version for people who haven't yet made the
>> switch.
>
> My understanding is that blip.tv lets you do most of this. Unlike many
> of these web video sites, Blip provides a link to the original format in
> addition to re-encoding the website in Flash.

Google optionally provides an DivX AVI, which is at least reasonably
standardized and well-documented (unlike FLV), albeit unfree.  Some of
the pay videos can also be downloaded in this format.

> I don't know if they can convert from another format to Theora

I think a site that offered this would be quite useful.  Uploaders may
not understand enough to use a free format themselves.

Matt Flaschen