advocate

Re: Fw: [Advocate Play Ogg] Two thoughts: automated conversion, and radi

From: Stian Rødven Eide
Subject: Re: Fw: [Advocate Play Ogg] Two thoughts: automated conversion, and radio4all.net.
Date: Wed, 30 May 2007 23:41:27 +0200

> and I think we have to code something fast to make ogg be able to be
> played from the web..

Streaming OGG is already very possible.

Jamendo used to let you choose between Vorbis and mp3 streams when listening
to an album, now they have begun using some sort of web-player with a lot of
javascript (crashing my Konqueror).

Streaming Theora is also not problem, provided the codecs and mimetypes are in
place. I initially wanted to make the videos our media collective produces
only available in Theora, and the only obstacle has been the fact that a lot
of users don't dare, can or want to install (and/or configure) unknown
software to view a video. We have ultimately encoded most our videos in mp4
(which probably has a lot to do with the more established branches of the
collective using Mac PC's), but one video is streamable from our website in
Ogg Theora. You can try for yourself here: http://spisderike.net/video/55/
(again the video my wife made). The site is in Norwegian, but you should
easily find the icons for popping up video in different sizes just below the
title (next to "Velg størrelse: (Åpnes i nytt vindu.) ->"). In Ubuntu (with
Mplayer plugin) the video starts streaming immediately, however users of
other operating systems have reported much difficulty in viewing the video at
all.

What I believe is needed to make OGG work as a streaming format is a
recognition by the browser or media-plugin that prompts the user to install
the correct codec if it is missing.

peace,
Stian