advocate

Re: [Advocate Play Ogg] MP2

From: Alexandro Colorado
Subject: Re: [Advocate Play Ogg] MP2
Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2007 14:56:47 -0500

Quoting "Andreas K. Foerster" <address@hidden>:

Hello,

does anybody know about the legal status of MP2?
I mean MPEG-1 Audio Layer 2.

I know that it is technically inferior to MP3 and even more so compared to Ogg Vorbis. But there are still players that cannot handle Ogg Vorbis. But afaik every MP3-player can
also play MP2. So might it be a "fallback solution" for some?

--
AKFoerster

You have to remember how does hardware mp3 player works. The decoder of mp3 is on a chip, that chip might present decoding options for other formats rather than mp3 and that is where you get the compatibility or not.

The other was to decode which is slower is if you have a software decoder of mp3 this will allow you to create an entity on the memory and the memory will do the decoding part.

To an extend I am impressed why we are not pushing the chip manufacturers to add machine-level decoding to ogg.