aeskulap-users

Re: [Aeskulap-users] Extended Behaviour of SCU (was dicom issues)

From: Mitchell Laks
Subject: Re: [Aeskulap-users] Extended Behaviour of SCU (was dicom issues)
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2007 05:50:33 -0400

On 09:34 Fri 13 Apr     , Alexander Pipelka wrote:
> Mitchell,
>
> I just rechecked the DICOM standard about SCU QR behaviour.
>
> You are completely right with your statements when using the "Baseline
> Behaviour" (PS 3.4 C.4.1.2.1)
>

> But,...
> There's also an Exended Behaviour:
>
> C.4.1.2.2  Extended Behavior of SCU
> Extended SCU behavior shall be negotiated at Association establishment
> time. If an option within the extended behavior is not agreed upon in
> the negotiation, then only baseline SCU behavior shall be performed with
> respect to that option. Extended SCU behavior includes all baseline
> behavior with the following option:
>
>     — Relational-queries
>

> C.4.1.2.2.1     Relational-Queries
> The C-FIND Service with relational-queries allows any combination of
> keys at any level in the hierarchy. The Unique Key Attribute associated
> with the Query/Retrieve level shall be contained in the C-FIND request
> and may specify Single Value Matching, Universal Value Matching, or List
> of UID Matching. Support for relational-queries removes the baseline
> restriction that a Unique Key shall be specified for all levels above
> the Query/Retrieve level in the C-FIND request.
>
> So from my point of view it's perfectly legal to use universal matching
> in the PatientRootQueryRetrieveInformationModel within the study level.
> I think i just missed to announce the extended behaviour on association
> negotiation. Anyways, there must be a fallback if the SCP refuses the
> extended behaviour.
>
> Alex

I use latest CTN 306. I run archive_server and archive_agent.

You are correct, if you negotiate it of course, which you did not :), and you
may very well not succeed to in ctn.
However while it is common to find some Q/R SCP that may support 'illegal' ie
non
conforming queries which violate the strict hierarchial
dicom query structure - that may be why no one may have told you this before-
it is bad to do this (in my opinion) as it will fail on conforming SCP's.

As a first pass, make sure that you conform at the strict hierarchial level.
Many people use wustl ctn because
of its incredible robustness. I am running ctn 306, which is the basis of the
replies I sent to you...

If you are looking for help:

1. There is nothing wrong with doing secondary queries to get
study/series/image info.
2. Look what other SCU implementations do -
 ie turn on ctn and then watch while you query using Osirix or Efilm or
whatever ....
 you can match then their query :)
3. Take a look at Q/R approaches based upon Study Root model perhaps.
4. Also, Look at the queries that Andreas Knopke has posted in the dcmtk forum
list, which are pretty helpful.

Also read this it might be helpful: I quote it in full: Read this from
comp.protocols.dicom

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.protocols.dicom/browse_thread/thread/6d8ab1cf7d4e637c/c987fda0c86f673e?lnk=gst&q=relational+queries&rnum=1&hl=en#c987fda0c86f673e

quoted from google groups below:

Bill