ambar-dev

[Mine-dev] heiress

From: Bessie Woodard
Subject: [Mine-dev] heiress
Date: Wed, 9 Aug 2006 22:40:50 -0700

Ride down the river twenty milesor so, then cross an come back on the other side. But some dirty sneaks airgittin rich on other mens work. I wanted to, but Sally said her mother didnt think I wasmuch of a match. There were wagontracks that turned off the main road to cross the river. Thus was ushered in the second phase of Tom Doans buffalo-hunting. Always, however, hissearch among the outfits ended in bitter disappointment. Thars fortysquare miles of buffler, millin an movin, too. Shore Jett must be across the river, averred Pilchuck. He leftwith three wagons yesterday afternoon. Wal, son, you cant work an do the job right, replied the scout. But Hudnall was the first to get to Tom, and almost embraced him,so glad and amazed was he. Tom did his best at this calculationand reported: three hundred forty six pounds of St. Dave, I was mad, natural-like, but you takin me serious aboutfightin over Sally was funny. An Ill drive the wagon out an back, so youllhave time to ride along the river. The river meandered across theprairie, a wide strip of dark green cottonwood and elm. Tom looked with eager gaze at the door through which Sally hadcome, expecting to see Milly. Pilchuck got two hundred an eighty-six day before yesterday. Then the Indians circled round him, shootin, yellin,ridin like naked painted devils. He wasjust ahead of me, though I couldnt see his wagons. I aint placin toomuch confidence in you, Dave. Tom wanted to laugh, yet had not quitethe meanness to let it out. You can see our women folks an bring back the straightof this news. We all knew she might come toharm, outside of Indians. No, she was gone with Jett, Im shore sorry to say, replied Dave. Not one of them could or would give him any clue toJetts outfit. Wal, were all pretty lucky, if you let me get in a word, saidthe scout, dryly. Tom, I forgot to tell you well pay you for drivin outthe hides. Ten miles up and down theriver, on the west bank, had been covered by some one of Hudnallsoutfit. He endeavored toright the falling off, only to grow worse. Like all expert skinners, Tom took pride in skinning withoutcutting holes in a hide. Burn Hudnall raised a face Tom could never forget. Ask aboutIndians, too, an keep your eyes peeled. Presently they quitracin, an rode into a bunch, round where he lay. Then another perusal of Millysletter roused his courage. Aw, Ive all the time there is, drawled Dave, with an assuredsmile. Certain as death, replied Burn, solemnly. Hiswife wasnt with him, but we met her later in Spragues store. The prairie was a beautiful grassy level, growingbrown from the hot sun. Before sunset he drove into Hudnalls camp. No, she was gone with Jett, Im shore sorry to say, replied Dave.