apps-gnustep

Re: OpenStep Application using GDO

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: OpenStep Application using GDO
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2001 08:07:21 +0100

On Friday, July 20, 2001, at 07:54 AM, ramana rao wrote:

Hi All,

Here we have a Client process which runs in OpenStep on NT, also uses GUI.
Since we can't port this to GNUstep, as GNUstep doesnot have GUI for NT.

We planning for option of Building the client procees in Openstep itself but it should use GNUstep's Distributed Objects. As the client has to communicate with a server process which is in GNUstep.

That is can we build a OpenStep Application which uses GNUstep's DO. That is it should not use OpenStep's DO. Is it possible, if yes how?

The short answer is NO, it's not possible.

OPENSTEP and GNUstep DO are tied to the internal structure of their objects, and the OPENSTEP AppKit is tied to the OPENSTEP Foundation so it can't use GNUstep DO directly because the OPENSTEP Foundation and GNUstep-base can't co-exist
in the same process.

Your best bet therefore would be to define your own API for the communications needed between the two processes, and use a TCP/IP connection with an NSFileHandle, or to use something like CORBA (though that's probably far too heavyweight for
most applications).