apps-gnustep

Re: GNUMail.app - next release

From: Nicola Pero
Subject: Re: GNUMail.app - next release
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2002 16:32:21 +0000 (GMT)

> [ Multi-threading ]
>
> Threads should be used when sending and receiving mails
> so we won't block the main thread of the application.

Why do you need threads here ?

Can't you simply use the AppKit run loop ?

GNUstep-base allows you to do non-stopping I/O without using threads
(stuff like [NSFileHandle -readInBackgroundAndNotify] etc), which is more
efficient in terms of speed (doesn't require locking, and less context
switching overhead), and in terms of stability - not to speak of the fact
that gnustep-base is rock-stable and has a rock-design in these topics, so
you can take advantage of it.

If you want my suggestion, you can/should do without threads, and it would
be so much cooler and better if you did.

I should probably write an example ... well for example Finger.app does it
... it's running an arbitrary number of finger/ping/traceroute/whois
programs in the background, in a non-blocking way, and getting and
displaying the output on screen in real time, as they are received,
without blocking the main thread ...