apps-gnustep

Re: GNUstep GUI design

From: Yen-Ju Chen
Subject: Re: GNUstep GUI design
Date: Fri, 04 Oct 2002 13:42:05 -0400

 Thanx.
 Finally I have something to read about the nextstep gui. :)

 For the MusicBox, I agree that it should be small.
 So basically I won't work on burn.
 For the encoding, it is just one step furthur.
 And you can see that the Encod and MusicBox share a lot of similarity.
 I really don't see why user need to play CD in MusicBox or Encod,
 then encode it in Encod, then again manage it back in MusicBox.
 If I drop the encoding function,
 users need two applications to fulfill the encoding/managing function,
and the function of these two applications overlap in many places (CD and freedb support).
 It also takes time to establish the common interface
 for these two applications in order to operate seamless.
 Anyway, the real reason which prevent me from trying to cooperate
 with Encod is that cdparanoia doesn't work on FreeBSD.
 Anything using cdparanoia doesn't work for me. :(
And as personal opinion, the idea of unix-like tool works very will in command line.
 But in gui environment, I doubt it.
 Switch between applications is not as convenient as tools.
 (takes time to launch, mess up the desktop with too many app, ...)
 And interface between application is not as good as tools (pipe).
 It can be achieved via service, but takes time,
especially for something like the communication between MusicBox and Encod.
 MusicBox need to tell Encod which track to encode,
 the song/artist/album, the place to store the encoded song, etc.
 The best situation I think is that MusicBox, Encod, and GSBurn
 make all the basic funcation (playlist, encoding, burning) into bundles.
 Any application just pick up these bundles,
 assemble them, intergrate the interface between bundles,
 build the GUI, then you have anything you want.
 I'm working on this direction.
 The playlist, LED (for information display and miniature window),
 and encoder are all in the bundles.
 The basic audio, CD, freedb, etc. are in a separated library already,
 and this library put SDL/SDL_sound into bundles.
 Almost everything is exchangable depending on personal preference.

 Yen-Ju