apps-gnustep

Re: nib2gmodel on linux

From: Fred Kiefer
Subject: Re: nib2gmodel on linux
Date: Sat, 22 Oct 2005 18:21:08 +0200

Luke Kendall wrote:
> On 23 Oct, luke wrote:
>>  On 19 Oct, Adam Fedor wrote:
>>  >  >> nib2gmodel does not compile on linux. It is supposed to be compiled
>>  >  >> on Mac
>>  >  >> OS X or NeXT in order to translate Apple/NeXT nib files into GNUstep
>>
>>  >  >> gmodel
>>  >  >> files.
>>  >  > Clear statement!
>>  >  >
>>  >  > I've spend a lot of time developing NeXT applications 12 years ago.
>>  >  > How can I convert those NIB-files on linux using GNUstep?
>>  >  > Or should I by an Apple;-)
>>  >
>>  >  An Apple (nor Linux) won't help you convert NeXT nib files.  You might
>>  >  ask on address@hidden if anyone has a machine that could
>>  >  convert the nibs for you.
>
> Apologies, I somehow misread that.  In my defense, they still sound
> contradictory, to me:
>
> "nib2gmodel ... is supposed to be compiled on Mac OS X ..."
> "An Apple ... won't help you convert NeXT nib files."

It's not that contradictory if you look at the finer details. The
original request was for porting an OpenStep/NextStep application. With
Cocoa applications it would be easy to use nib2gmodel on an Apple
computer. But with a NextStep application you either need to convert it
to Cocoa first (I think Apple had a tool for this) or you need to use
nib2gmodel on the NeXT computer to get GModel files. The offer was that
somebody on the mailing list with an old NeXT machine may be willing to
do the conversion.

For simple interfaces it may turn out that it is easier to redo the user
interface in Gorm, but with loads of user interface files the conversion
surely is the way to go.

Fred