apps-gnustep

Re: GWorkspace issues on MinGW

From: Luke Kendall
Subject: Re: GWorkspace issues on MinGW
Date: Sun, 20 Aug 2006 01:04:28 +1000 (EST)

On 19 Aug, Enrico Sersale replied to:
>  > It's perhaps also a problem with NSFileManager itself when used on
>  > Windows, not specifically GWorkspace.
>
>  No. You are right; the issues are really in GWorkspace; all the
>  app is based on the assumption that there is only one 'root',
>  that is, "/" on unix. I was not aware that on windows you have
>  a path tree for each mountable "volume"; this makes the things
>  quite complex because, to represent this in a browser, you
>  must add the concept of a "root of the other roots" and write
>  methods to handle this abstraction...

Is it an option to try to get it running under Cygwin instead of via
mingw?  Since cygwin arranges for all the network drives to be mounted
under /.

Getting it run under Windows depending on Cygwin sounds like a big
challenge.  Getting running under Windows independent of Cygwin sounds
like a *huge* challenge.  Maybe getting it work under Cygwin would be
an easier first step for "pickleman"?

luke