artanis

Re: [Artanis] artanis has a bundled and customized copy of guile-json pa

From: Nala Ginrut
Subject: Re: [Artanis] artanis has a bundled and customized copy of guile-json package
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2017 17:23:27 +0800

Hi Adonay!
First, thanks for helping Artanis!

Please let me explain something before answer your questions.
Artanis is not intended to use a customized guile-json, the reason why
it uses a upstream copy is that there was no pkg manager for Guile
before.
So I intergrate it to Artanis for users convinience.
It shouldn't be different from upstream code, if any necessary, I add
new features in third-party/json.scm which is not included in upstream.

Now I'm trying to answer your questions.

Adonay Felipe Nogueira writes:

> 1. What is the difference between the original guile-json
>    ([[http://savannah.nongnu.org/projects/guile-json/]]) and the bundled
>    and customized one?

As I said, it shouldn't be. If you found something different, then maybe
it's because the integrated guile-json is old version. Anyway, I just
copy it to Artanis each time update it. If I did something I forget, I
should make it the same with upstream next release.

> 2. Did you try sending all the customizations/patches to upstream
>    (guile-json)? What was the outcome (acceptance/merge status,
>    response/reply from upstream)?

IIRC, I didn't. And I've checked the pull request history of guile-json,
no record. If you found something different from upstream, please raise
issue on gitlab, it should be fixed.

> 3. Without losing the expected behavior and features, can we remove the
>    bundled and customized guile-json and use the one currently provided
>    by upstream?

Artanis will upgrade to the latest guile-json in next release.
But I'm not going to remove the bundled guile-json at present, since
I want to save users time to build Artanis.
In the long term, guile-json should be moved out. I hope popular distro
could package it.

BTW, guile-redis is in the same situation which I'm considering to
integrate it for some new cool features. Anyway, all the code shouldn't
be customized from upstream's code.

Hope it helps
Thank you very much!

--