Re: [aspell-devel] successful port

From: Kevin Atkinson
Subject: Re: [aspell-devel] successful port
Date: Thu, 6 Jun 2002 14:15:23 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 6 Jun 2002, Melvin Hadasht wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I would like to report a successful port to the new-aspell of the spell
> checker
> code of Sylpheed-Claws that was developed using pspell-0.12.2.

Thanks for the info.

> What I did:
>
> 1. I changed the functions name accordingly to use aspell.h instead of
> pspell.h.
> I'm aware that pspell.h is still there for compatibility reasons, but I wanted
> to make a full port.
>
> 2. aspell_config_replace: some options seem  to have changed or removed:
>       - pspell's "language-tag" changed to "lang
>       - pspell's "spelling" removed
>       - aspell has a new "size" option
>       - aspell still have "module". This was set to aspell or ispell. Isn't
>         this obsolete now? Or has it a new meaning?

The module option has about the same meaning, however right now it is not
really used.

> 3. dictionaries: in the old code, I used to detect available dictionaries by
> checking for .pwli files to allow the user to select one from a list . This is
> obsolete now, unfortunately. I check now for .multi files. But this is not
> perfect: there is an american.multi file, but providing 'american' to the
> 'lang'
> config option is not correct, as it expects en_US style strings. So creating
> "english.multi", or more generally, non xx_XX*.multi is not necessary and may
> be
> error prone. This is the main inconvenient of new-aspell with respect to old
> pspell.

There are new classes to deal with listing the available dictionaries.
see AspellDictInfoList.  Sorry it isn't really documented yet.  The code
is in common/info.?pp.

> PS: I managed to port the French dictionary to new aspell. I had to change the
> Makefile.pre by hand. But it seems this was generated by 'proc'. Where can I
> find it? Is there any interest to the French dictionary?

For dictionaries for the new Aspell go to
http://freesoftware.fsf.org/download/aspell/.  I think the proc script is
included.  If not let me know.

--
http://kevin.atkinson.dhs.org