Re: [aspell-devel] Re: I want to add Turkish

From: Nicolai Tufar
Subject: Re: [aspell-devel] Re: I want to add Turkish
Date: Mon, 2 Sep 2002 09:48:52 +0300

>> No I do not have, this is one of the things I want to do.
>> By the way, is this enough for adding Turkish support?
>> Also are there any quick links for this?
>> Thanks...

> In that case I really can't help you.  Once you get a decent wordlist then
> I can set up a dict package for you language.  I really do not know where
> to find word lists for your language, sorry.

I would be very glad to participate too.
I have a dictionary of modern Turkish in electronic
form - 75.000 words. But having the words is not
enough. 75.000 words is just a basic package.

Turkish language have an intricate system of suffices. In Turkish,
adding a suffix to a root can change the meaning cardinally. Worse,
one can add a suffix over another. So a root can aquire five or six
suffices one after another and still comprise a meaningfull word.
Like this example in English: to mean > mean+ing > mean+ing+full >
mean+ing+full+y. How do you handle this?

I have tried to make a valid aspell dictionary and a ruleset but failed.
Serkan, Kevin, I would be very much glad to volunteer to do the
hard work, since I hope I would be able to base my Ph. D. thesis on it ;)

Nick.