Re: [aspell-devel] Problems with aspell-en license

From: Kevin Atkinson
Subject: Re: [aspell-devel] Problems with aspell-en license
Date: Sat, 19 Oct 2002 14:39:11 -0400 (EDT)

On Sat, 19 Oct 2002, Brian Nelson wrote:

> I'm working on packaging the new upstream GNU/aspell, and I've
> discovered a problem with the (attached) license of the English
> dictionary.  The license, which is a mishmash of mostly free licenses,is
> not DFSG free as I understand it due to the DEC Word list license
> (beginning on line 134).

RMS said the word lists were OK.  Here is what he said to me.  You can
email him for confirmation:

  I think it is safe for us to use those wordlists.  The person who
  avoided texts marked "copyright" was operating under an erroneous idea
  of how copyright law works, but if all he did with those texts was make
  word lists, this should not be a problem anyway.

---
http://kevin.atkinson.dhs.org