[aspell-devel] Re: Aspell and

From: Mike C. Fletcher
Subject: [aspell-devel] Re: Aspell and
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2002 19:38:28 -0400

Kevin Atkinson wrote:

You misunderstand. word-list-compress simply compresses and decompresses a sorted word list to save space. It is not used in any way by Aspell itself.

I understood that word-list-compress was an offline utility, but I'm not sure what you're using to search the compressed word-list on disk. That is, how does _Aspell_ make use of the data once it's been compressed? Is it something like a bisect algo with an index somewhere on disk to the items in the file? (I gather by your reaction that the entire word-list is not all loaded into memory at run-time).

leditdistance != typo edit distance. leditdistance uses a different algo. than the normal edit distance algorithm. The normal edit distance algorithm "editdist.cpp" and the typo edit distance algorithm "typo_editdist.cpp" are basically the same except for the weights.

Ah, I had thought those were older implementations that had been superceded by the leditdistance algorithm (mostly because of the greater number of comments in that one). I think for the moment I'll just leave the typo-distance code, and concentrate on the overall evironment.

It would seem that you'd need each "swap" to be a lookup into the typo table.

Yes that is correct. But it is not a "swap" but a replacement. A swap is when the adjective letters are interchanged, "teh" vs. "the".

Thanks for the clarification,
Mike

 Mike C. Fletcher
 Designer, VR Plumber, Coder