Re: [aspell-devel] install-dir home-dir prefix config keyword

From: Gary Setter
Subject: Re: [aspell-devel] install-dir home-dir prefix config keyword
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2004 08:40:33 -0600

<snip>
> > Now I'm thinking about a personal dir. It looks like the Unix
> > version defaults to $HOME or cwd. And the Windows version
sets up
> > a default prefix which is "aspell-win32" which is a relative
> > path, relative to the cwd. I'd like something closer to
$HOME.
> > There is a shell lib function to retrieve that folder name,
but I
> > would have to modify the default value of home-dir to do it
> > properly.
>
> It is acceptable to change the default value of home-dir as
long as it
> is wrapped in a indef.  Modify the value of HOME_DIR.

Good,

> Also if ENABLE_WIN32_RELOCATABLE is enabled the default
location is
> <prefix>.

Good
> > What do people think? Is the value of getting a better
default
> > home-dir worth the disruption of changing the default
behavior
> > from one version of aspell to the next?
>
> Go ahead and submit your changes.  If I find the changes to
drastic I can
> delay it until Aspell 0.61.

What your proposing Kevin, is a customization right? If you
change the behavior of an existing program, at least some of the
customer are going to complain. That means that if you make a bad
choice with the first release, you have to live with that choice
for the life of that product. You can add switches and vocabulary
to correct the problem, but unless a user does something
different, a released program should do no behave differently.
Now that I think of it, Aspell is still beta. Humm maybe the
rules for released programs doesn't apply yet. Regardless, if a
change to default behavior is made, someone will be disrupted.