Re: [aspell-devel] install-dir home-dir prefix config keyword

From: Gary Setter
Subject: Re: [aspell-devel] install-dir home-dir prefix config keyword
Date: Mon, 6 Dec 2004 21:45:02 -0600

I want to resolve my problems with the config keywords home-dir,
dict-dir, data-dir, local-data-dir, master-path, filter-path, and
prefix.

Most Windows programs put their data in the installation folder
within the "/Program Files" folder. Personal data goes under "My
Documents". The installation folder or "My Documents" can be
renamed or moved around. Aspell doesn't have anything that I can
use to setup a master config file that will find those folders.
There are functions that I can call to find those directories,
but I need a hook so that I can call them.

#define WIN32_USE_EXECUTABLE_DIR 1

#if WIN32_USE_EXECUTABLE_DIR
# define PREFIX "!prefix"
# define DICT_DIR "<PREFIX>/dicts"
#else
# define PREFIX "aspell-win32"
# define DICT_DIR "dicts"
#endif
#define CONF_DIR "<PREFIX>"
#define DATA_DIR "<PREFIX>/data"

!prefix expand to the directory where the executable/or dll is.

I do not understand why you would want to modify the definition
of home based on the location of the executable.
I'm still thinking of using a default value of !home-dir which
would expand to
"/My Documents" or what every the current users personal folder
is.
To avoid upsetting current user, I'm thinking of using another
maco name
WIN32_USE_PERSONAL_DIR

#if defined(WIN32_USE_PERSONAL_DIR)
#  define HOME_DIR "!home-dir"
#  define PERSONAL "<lang>.pws"
#  define REPL     "<lang>.prepl"
#elif defined(ENABLE_WIN32_RELOCATABLE)
#  define HOME_DIR "<prefix>"
#  define PERSONAL "<lang>.pws"
#  define REPL     "<lang>.prepl"
#else
#  define HOME_DIR "<$HOME|./>"
#  define PERSONAL ".aspell.<lang>.pws"
#  define REPL     ".aspell.<lang>.prepl"
#endif

What do you think?

Also why isn't HOME_DIR dirs.h?