Re: [aspell-devel] Aspell core dump

From: Gary Setter
Subject: Re: [aspell-devel] Aspell core dump
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2004 13:43:46 -0600

----- Original Message -----
From: "Kevin Atkinson" <address@hidden>
To: "James Lee" <address@hidden>
Cc: <address@hidden>
Sent: Thursday, December 09, 2004 8:50 PM

> On Thu, 9 Dec 2004, James Lee wrote:
>
> > Aspell 0.60.1 is frequently and consistently dumping core.
Example: I
> > create a file with the single word "webserver" then check it,
first I ask
> > to correct to "web-server", then because aspell although
having offered
> > me the choice of that word asks again for a correction to the
correction,
> > I now select "web server" and it dumps core.  This is just a
simple
> > example, the program crashes often and it seems related to
words with
> > hyphens.
>
> I can't Aspell to dump core.  Please file a bug report with
complete
> details on your system.

Hi,
I tried to look into this. The win32 port does not dump core, but
it does reprompt for when webserver is replaced by web-server or
web server. I have had it stuck in an infinite loop, but I'm
having difficulty recreating the problem.

At the center of the infinite loop problem is this function in
writeable.

static void soundslike_next(WordEntry * w)
{
  const Str * i   = (const Str *)(w->intr[0]);
  const Str * end = (const Str *)(w->intr[1]);
  set_word(*w, *i);
  ++i;
  if (i == end) w->adv_ = 0;
}
Nothing is changing w->intr[0] or w-inter[1] so w->adv is never
set to zero and the loop never terminates.

Also the WordEntry::intr array of void pointers is a bad idea in
my opinion. Is there any support for eliminating them?