Re: [aspell-devel] Re: ASpell

From: Gary Setter
Subject: Re: [aspell-devel] Re: ASpell
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2007 08:29:39 -0600

----- Original Message -----
<snip>
> The spell check process should be fed the language, file and
other
> preference flags and it then marks misspellings. This process
spell check is
> then ready for the next file. Now here is why I want to break
apart from the
> suggested listings. The page could then be submitted for the
secondary
> language. You now have two masks for the same file. Remove all
misspellings
> that are correct in either one of the two languages. In the
presentation you
> highlight the language by color so that if the writer
accidentally slips
> into Russian in a English sentence or a misspelled English word
mimics a
> Russian he can identify it because the highlighting color
changes. This
> leaves open the possibility too of selecting the word and
choosing "Check
> Selection in English | Russian".
>
> Now take all your misspelled words and get the suggested
replacements in the
> primary language, do the same with the secondary language and
combine
> without care as to which is which as that was never determined
. You could
> though, in your presentation data highlight the language
surrounding,
> proceeding or following. In other words stage one is leave the
misspelled
> words without the language of origin highlighting. Next you
could make a few
> rules as best guess what language and someday write a new
algorithm that
> syntactically considers the context.

<snip>

Hi,
You might want to keep in mind some other suggestions that are
related to this.

We had an intriguing suggestion that we support a list of
unacceptable words because sometimes a person mistypes but the
result is a real word (producing laughable results). I would put
the two together because the root problem is the same. A large
word list is going to contain many wrong words that are real
words. It's about context. If a document in the main is about
zoology and a word specific to lingerie pops up, it should be
flagged. Just as a polish word in a mostly in english text.

Gary

BTW, the hightlighting is the editor/viewers job. I view aspell
mostly as a service/demon that applications use.