Re: [aspell-devel] [aspell #336454] Aspell Malayalam

From: Gora Mohanty
Subject: Re: [aspell-devel] [aspell #336454] Aspell Malayalam
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2007 11:33:15 +0530

On Tue, 2007-07-10 at 10:43 -0600, Kevin Atkinson wrote:
> On Tue, 10 Jul 2007, Gora Mohanty wrote:
>
> > Even with remapping ZWJ/ZWNJ to which ever characters, I still get
> > an error when trying to make the dictionary. There are messages about:
> > "... The character 'ÿÿ' (U+200D) may not appear in the middle of a
> > word. Skipping word."
> > and similarly for U+200C. It seems like these might be hard-coded. Am
> > checking further.
>
> That should work.  Did you modify u-mymr.txt and then rerun mkchardata on
> it?

Yeah, I did. I expected it to work too, and haven't chased down the
problem yet. Here is what I did, in case you can see an error in it.
1. Made u-mlym.txt in aspell_lang/maps/, with the following contents
     0x11 = U+200C
     0x12 = U+200D
     0x80..0xFF = U+0D00..U+0D7F
2. Ran
     perl mkchardata maps/u-mlym.txt
3. Copied maps/u-mlym.{cset,cmap} to the Malayalam dictionary source
   directory.
4. In the Malayalm dictionary source directory, ran
     ./configure
   which showed me the correct locations for my aspell (version 0.60.4)
     make
   which shows errors with ZWJ/ZWNJ at the
     /usr/bin/prezip-bin -d < ml.cwl | /usr/bin/aspell  --lang=ml create
master ./ml.rws
   step.

Should I send you a tarball off-list so that you can take a look? Is it
possible that whitespace characters are hard-coded into aspell?

Regards,
Gora