Re: [aspell-devel] News on aspell support in ispell.el

From: Agustin Martin
Subject: Re: [aspell-devel] News on aspell support in ispell.el
Date: Sun, 9 Mar 2008 18:37:57 +0100

On Sat, Mar 08, 2008 at 07:31:45PM -0700, Kevin Atkinson wrote:
> On Fri, 7 Mar 2008, Agustin Martin wrote:
>
> >Looking at the aspell www page I see this,
> >-----
> >A patch for ispell.el for improved Aspell support also available. This
> >patch
> >will notify aspell of the replacements one makes so it can improve the
> >suggestion list in the future. A more involved patch can be found here This
> >one also adds UTF-8 support but will only apply cleanly to Ispell.el 3.7
> >beta.
> >-----
> >Just let you know that for aspell >0.60 emacs22 has full support including
> >aspell dicts parsing and default utf8 use. I modified emacs22 ispell.el and
> >put it in Debian so emacs21 does benefit too. Unfortunately xemacs seems to
> >not support [:alpha:] regexps, so does benefit less from the improvements.
>
> So does it notify Aspell of replacements one makes?
>

>From what I think is most recent ispell.el from fsf emacs cvs,

$ grep -n ispell-send-replacement ispell.el
1440:(defun ispell-send-replacement (misspelled replacement)
3073:               (ispell-send-replacement (car poss) replace)
3078:             (ispell-send-replacement (car poss) replace-word)

with

(defun ispell-send-replacement (misspelled replacement)
  "Notify aspell that MISSPELLED should be spelled REPLACEMENT.
This allows it to improve the suggestion list based on actual mispellings."
  (and ispell-really-aspell
       (ispell-send-string (concat "$$ra " misspelled "," replacement
"\n"))))

ispell.el is unmaintained upstream (as well s flyspell.el) and the most
actively modified one is that from fsf emacs cvs.

--
Agustin