[aspell-devel] Re: [Aspell-user] Need Someone to Maintain Aspell Windows

From: Kevin Atkinson
Subject: [aspell-devel] Re: [Aspell-user] Need Someone to Maintain Aspell Windows Port
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2008 11:47:04 -0600 (MDT)

On Thu, 17 Apr 2008, Elizabeth M Smith wrote:

Kevin Atkinson wrote:

I can help with the windows port and creating binaries, I'm already
doing windows builds of open source libraries for PHP and aspell is "on
the list" already.

Thanks.

Also VC6 doesn't require as many changes as you'd think - but there are
quite a few features that are in HEAD that are windows specific that
I've pulled back down into the branch for a windows build - such as
enabling relocatability for the binaries and using the windows api to
retrieve a user's home directory for personal dictionaries.

I have five compiler versions - VC6, 7, 7.1, 8 (2005) and 9 (2008) so
take your pick. And yes the 2005 and 2008 versions are superior in
standards support and binary speed and size but remember you'll have to
deal with runtime distribution issues if you use anything but MinGW or
VC6 - if you use MinGW you'll have to deal with the right flags so
people who use VC6 can build against the libs.

I am Windows ignorant. Could you be more specific on "runtime distribution issues"?

I don't, however, have time to deal with the libraries issue - you'll
need another volunteer for that ;)

What do you mean by "libraries issue"?