Re: [aspell-devel] Help Save Aspell From being Removed from Fedora!

From: Kevin Atkinson
Subject: Re: [aspell-devel] Help Save Aspell From being Removed from Fedora!
Date: Mon, 5 May 2008 14:31:03 -0600 (MDT)

On Mon, 5 May 2008, Kevin Scannell wrote:

On Mon, May 5, 2008 at 5:18 AM, Kevin Atkinson <address@hidden> wrote:

 [This is a part rant, but posting anyway to hopefully get some feedback]

 Based on http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Releases/FeatureDictionary it looks
like Aspell is in real danger of being completely removed from Fedora in
favor of standardizing every applications to use one Spell Checker for every
language.  Even if it is not the best spell checker for the language.  For
the English language I strongly believe Aspell is the best spell checker.
I'm afraid that other Linux distributions may follow suit and Aspell may
become completely unused, even though it is the best spell checker for the
English language.

  3) Am I overreacting.

I use Debian/Ubuntu so I can't comment on exactly what's going on at
Fedora.  I'd say, though, that you're right to at least be concerned.
 Would it be possible to update the numbers on the test page
http://aspell.net/test/ to compare the latest versions of aspell with
hunspell?   I think measuring relative speed and memory footprint
would be worthwhile too.

I actually uploaded something a while ago see,

  http://aspell.net/test/hunspell/orig/

actually I ran the tests with three different data sets, you can see them all at http://aspell.net/test/hunspell/. "orig" is using the same data set I used for the original tests.

I will work on updating the main page.