Re: [aspell-devel] Does Anyone Compile Aspell with -DNDEBUG?

From: Peter Kümmel
Subject: Re: [aspell-devel] Does Anyone Compile Aspell with -DNDEBUG?
Date: Sun, 01 Jun 2008 13:48:30 +0200

Kevin Atkinson wrote:

So are you saying in order not to link with the release runtime libraries NDEBUG can not be defined. This in my option is extremely stupid.

I assume "NDEBUG can not be undefined and _DEBUG defined instead".

Yes, only if we provide a dummy lib which provides the missing
debug functions (here with lyx it is only one)

If this is the case, I don't think I can ever officially support Aspell compiled with msvc. At very least I won't be able to accept bug reports for Windows binary built in release mode. I will expand on the reasons latter if necessary.

I'm very interested in your reasons and especially your experience when
not using NDEBUG in release code, because it's new to me.