Re: [aspell-devel] soundslike lookup with affix compression

From: Jose Da Silva
Subject: Re: [aspell-devel] soundslike lookup with affix compression
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 2009 21:32:14 -0700

Hi Suman,
...seeing that there was no replies yet....

If you track Aspell 0.60.{0..x}, you may note that most of the features are
somewhat already decided and the trailing suffixes 0,1,2,3... is adding
stability or bug fixes to the existing 0.60.x version.

As a starting point, my suggestion would be to probably begin looking at
adding new features in Aspell 0.61. There is no harm in using perl to try
out your ideas, but eventually, it hopefully gets converted into C or C++
and be able to be compiled into code.

In terms of your ideas, you may want to keep in mind some modularity since
not all languages follow the same rules.

You mentioned using "sound-ex" and you may find some interesting information
here http://www.sound-ex.com/alternative_zu_soundex.htm which mentions
metaphone may be a better choice. Following other links on that website has
several links to other websites, including this one here:
http://aspell.net/metaphone/
Please check out the links since it may answer some questions and bring up
new ideas as well.

Other ideas and suggestions if you think this is interesting....
Many eyes make bugs more shallow, so if you have the interest, you may also
want to look at the buglist to see if there is anything within your
capability which you can identify and possibly whittle down:
http://sourceforge.net:80/tracker/?group_id=245
If you identify something and can show a solution, great!

Here are also some additional resources too:
http://bugs.debian.org/src:aspell
https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/aspell/+bugs
https://bugzilla.redhat.com/buglist.cgi?quicksearch=aspell
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/pkgdb/packages/name/aspell